Sunday, June 12, 2005

TV Adverts

Would it be too hard for the morons who write, direct and star in TV adverts to make the occasional one that looks like they actually THOUGHT about what they were trying to achieve?

There is a beer advert on Australian TV these days that suggests that, if you drink their beer, you'll turn into an unreliable moron who does anything you are tasked with totally half arsed just so you can get back to your beer. Drink Carlton midstrength in other words, if you're a totally sad alcoholic. I know they are trying to suggest the beer is that good you will want to hurry back to it. But instead they've portrayed their customers as unreliable idiots.

Contrast Tooheys... Their adverts suggest their customers are intelligent, lateral thinking and generally entertaining people it is fun to be around. Except that frighteningly gross Tooheys Dry advert with the tongue crawling over the road to get a beer. Who thought that disgusting ad up? Should be fired.

Then there was the lolly/candy ad with the attractive young blonde telling us it tasted like an orgasm in her mouth.

yes indeed....

So we now know she either spits or swallows eh...

I know I wasn't in a hurry to try semen flavoured candy. I did the company the signal service of writing to them to point out that indeed, EVERY person I had asked about it thought 'yuck cum flavoured candy' as this was what the advert ACTUALLY said - only to get a rather abusive letter telling me *I* was the idiot. Far enough. That candy is no longer on the market. I told em... Then I wrote n told them 'suffer in ya jocks ya bastards' when they went tits up.

Pays to listen to your customers eh.

Mazda has one at the moment. Couple walk in to a dealership. ASk for a test drive. Girl shrugs n points to the showroom floor... no cars left.

THIS IS SUPPOSED TO MAKE YOU BUY A MAZDA!!!!

not

What happens is you walk out, cross the road (and if youre me -personal preference) then enter the Renault or Peugeot dealer to buy one of THEIR cars.

My father always said 'never tell people you have heaps of stock - they will wonder whats wrong with the product. Never say you have none left either - they will think one of two things A: you are doing so well you wont need our business. So they go somewhere else; or B: well they've sold out so theres no point thinking about that product; and they go somewhere else.'

You should give the impression you've got 2 or 3 left. And always ask for a second colour choice. Just in case all the candy apple red cars have been sold (its a popular choice ya know).

I think some of these ads, theyre sitting around a table laughing at the idiot who has put the idea forward and somehow it ends up getting made.

Or they are thought up by uni grads with 6 degrees and 4 up their arses who have never had to 'sell' something - just 'market' it.

The gurl gets annoyed when I throw stuff at the tv if there is a dumb advert on.
What really gets up my tits is that there is no way in the world I could ever get a job in that industry - but I know what a crappy insulting ad looks like when I see it.

I think I need to go play squash - luckily the regular victim rang earlier to ask for a beating.

adios

No comments: