Sunday, June 03, 2007

more sex, more drugs more rockn roll

Ive got my new hand 10 speed bike going now. I finally found an adaptor for the stupid high pressure valve the back tyre tube was equipped with. I had those on my Peugeot and hated them even then.

So I have the tyres inflated, Ive cleaned it reasonably well. It has been oiled and WD40’d until anything that was binding or tight is now spinning or moving freely.
It goes like stink. It accelerates faster than any other bike Ive ever ridden. Im not really in my fittest bicycle riding shape. It has a funny oversteery wiggle on cornering.
I think that is from the both the very narrow tyres and from big fat bloke sitting on it with his arse near the rear tyre.

It is a smaller frame size than my old Repco 10 speed. Weighs about half, has taller gearing and steers like a razor. You can feel it twitch when your muscles twitch. I cannot believe how responsive it is to steer.

I had an interesting experience with the whole gyroscopic effect thingie today.
I was oiling the axle and bearings on the rear wheel of my sisters’ old bike by the simple expedient of holding the wheel by one lug, spinning it, then squirting WD40 into the shaft. Then I started to turn the wheel somewhat. Instant gyro effect. What a weird feeling wiggling and trying to bend and turn a spinning road wheel. It made me more aware of what goes on at the wheels of both my bikes and my car. The sort of things frames and chassis tend to mask. Well, they are designed to defeat these effects.

What an interesting experience to ride my fast bloody nimble 10speed road racing bike this morning, then my KHS XC mountain bike this afternoon. They feel TOTALLY different.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you know what a gyro is now hey!!